-->
email Facebook Instagram Instagram Spotify Mixcloud eBay Instagram Linktree

Tuesday 4 January 2011

NS545 International G.T.O.'s [1966] - I Love My Baby [Rojac 45-1007]




545 International G.T.O.'s [1966] - I Love My Baby [Rojac 45-1007]

b/w: It's Been Raining In My Heart (Official A Side)
Format: 45
Label: Rojac
Cat No: 45-1007
Year: 1966
Value: £400-£500

Written and produced by Freddie Briggs and Jack Taylor. This is a highly regarded stomper on the scene from the, up until now, elusive International G.T.O.s.

The following information was culled from comments from member group Tommy Lockhart in response to the You Tube video of The International GTOs.

"The International GTO's (The GTO means 'Gran Trismo Orgettos') were baritone, Willie Powell, 2nd tenor,Tunde Aleem (then Arthur Allen), 1st tenor Norman Dade and lead, Tommy Lockhart. They recorded between 1963-65. They were also known as the Master Four who recorded for Jet Set 'It's Not The End' (doo wop)." Tommy Lockhart

'Willie Powell has since passed. Tunde and his brother are a successful songwriting and producers in the field (Tunde passed around 2015), Norman travels throughout the world in the gospel field and Tommy sings with the Sheps (an acapella vocal group) and the Legendary Teenagers (with the existing members of Frankie Lyman's group). '


I note that Discogs links William Powell to Big Foot, Henry Murray Jr., Juggy Murray Jones but I don't see how it can be Juggy Murray Jones as he set up the NY Sue label in 1957 .. so why would he be recording on another label?

They recorded first as The International G.T.O.'s and then as The Master Four. They were uncredited backing Big Maybelle on the A-side of It's Been Raining / Don't Pass Me By [Rojac 1969 (66) and they were The Master Three on Wesley Paige & The Master Three - I've Got To Find Out for Myself / Better Days Are Coming [Rojac 113] (67)




Rojac
1007 - International G.T.O's - It's Been Raining In My Heart / I Love My Baby - 1966 
130 - The Jet Set - Mojo Man / This Is Not The End 1969

Tay-ster
6012 Master Four - Love From The Far East / It's Not The End 1967
6015 Master Four - Love Has Taken Wings / Where Have You Been 1967
6124 Master Four - Love From The Far East / It's Not The End 19679

Other notable releases on Rojac:
112 - Big Maybelle - Ninety-Six Tears / That's Life - 1966 
118 - Big Maybelle - I Can't Wait Any Longer /Quittin' Time - 1968



International G.T.O.'s [1966] - It's Been Raining In My Heart [Rojac 45-1007]






Master Four [1967] - Love From The Far East [Tay-ster 6012/6924]



Master Four [1967] - It's Not The End [Tay-ster 6012/6924]

"It's Not The End was recorded two days before Thanksgiving in 1962. I co-wrote it with Arthur Allen when he came up with the idea when we worked at HARYOU-ACT in the early 60's. The song was recorded with the vocals and instruments at the same time and the recording was over within 10 minutes. No overdubs or voices added. It was in and out of Bell Recording Studio and still time to get home for dinner. I sang the lead and never lived in Central NJ, but I sang for many years with an acapella group called the Sheps from Jersey. I now reside in Georgia." Thomas Lockhart 2019



The Jet Set [1969] - It's Not The End [Rojac 130]

I am led to believe that this is The Master Four under the name of The Jet Set releasing the same song on Rojac.



Master Four [1967] - Love Has Taken Wings [Tay-ster 6015]



Master Four [1967] - Where Have You Been [Tay-ster 6015]





No comments: